Thread: 1M Midpipes
View Single Post
      10-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #28
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Oh dayum that sounds good. I'm wondering if there is any reason to go with the axle back if the midpipes are installed? As I see it there are three potential reasons to make the change. 1) less weight. 2) More/better sound 3) More free flowing.

At this point the weight savings isn't that important to me. The sound of the midpipes alone is more than enough for me. The last item is what I'm curious about. Can you give us a little insight? Will a Burger or Cobb (etc) tuned car make appreciably more power with Berk midpipes and free flowing axle back compared to just midpipes and stock axleback? It seems like there may be a point of diminishing returns.
You are taking out restriction in the exhaust system and more power is made. During the 3 weeks we spent at GIAC we saw gains with the mid pipe, but we didn't take note of it since it is merely to remove some of the restriction and for better sound.

There will be a new 3" mid pipe for the 1M very soon as well!
Appreciate 0