View Single Post
      05-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #14

Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
The BMW touch-up paint sticks are horrible. Google Dr ColorChip, I think it is much easier to use and I've been happy with the results.

Whether you get into a new BMW or not, you're going to have a problem with rock chips. I've never had a car that chipped this bad (then again, I've never had a car on which I noticed these sorts of things so much). I think other manufacturers are having this issue as well, and it has more to do with more environmentally-friendly paint formulations than with any manufacturer-wide defect.
You are 100% correct. New environmentally-friendly paints (water based) are not as durable as what eople are used to I guess. Stone chips are easily noticible when you purchase a new it's more painful to experience watching your new car get messed up when there is nothing you can do about it...

Not a fan of Dr. Colorchip, professionals in the auto paint world have told me that it is worthless. Still I may get it for the microscopic sand-speck like stone chips that you can't access yourself without smearing paint into the blemish. Dr. Colorchip does that, so that would be the reason to get it.
1988 325i sedan (Cirrus Blue Metallic, Silver Grey Leather)
2011 128i convertible (Blue Water Metallic, Grey Leather)
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)