View Single Post
      06-13-2012, 12:04 AM   #18

Drives: 2016 228iC -picked up 8-13-16!

Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Well, I guess we just disagree on what Dr ColorChip is good for. I use it on deep, down to metal chips almost exclusively. In two years of ownership, I'd guess that I've had at least 6 such chips, maybe more? I just can't be in and out of a body shop that much. I'm not sure how much time and money professional-level work would've cost me at this point, but I'm still on my first $39 bottle of DCC. Of course, the body shop guys would do a better job, but I swear I would probably just get another rock chip on the way home from a respray. If it was just a matter of paying the money to get it done right once, then I would gladly do it - but it's a constant battle with these rock chips, and it's going to last the life of the car.

That said, I think you're going to have the same problem with any new BMW (and possibly any new car, period), so I'm not sure how a trade will solve your problems. Except to start from scratch, so to speak.
That would be the tempory answer...start from scratch and have a NEW lci facelifted 1 series. I don't think it could get worse than the chips I've gotten in my E88. As stated earlier, my 1988 325i I've owned for 13+ years and have never recieved a stone chip worse than the ones on my 2011 BMW. The largest ones are pencil point sized stone chips.

Still not sure what I'm going to do in the future, I have lots of time to continue to weight out my decision on a new 2013 E88.

On a side note:
I had my car airbrushed professionally this weekend and got the car back yesterday. I'm very pleased with the results
1988 325i sedan (Cirrus Blue Metallic, Silver Grey Leather)
2011 128i convertible (Blue Water Metallic, Grey Leather)
2013 320i sedan (Sapphire Black Metallic, Black/Black)
2016 228i convertible (Mineral White, Oyster Leather, Luxury Line)