I have manual seats (basically the same M sport seats of other 1 coupes) in my 1M (Euro specs), in leather (no other option in 1M, would like to have instead alcantara/leather or cloth/leather like the base M3s or option in Z4s), heated and power lumbar support in addition to regular power side bolsters. I wanted my car exactly like this at the time of order and I prefer them to power seats (did have manual sports seats before in a E90) because:
1) I am the only driver of this car, so I never miss the memory function.
2) Manual has the same adjustments, just faster to operate.
3) Entry/exit to rear is especially faster and easier with the manual, power seats' rear entry function is painfully slow
4) They are considerably lighter
5) Possible and often heard mid to long term issues with extra motors and electronics all avoided
6) Most important note for me: manual can go almost 3 cms. (1 inch or slightly more) lower than the power seats, more head/helmet room and a better driving position
7) I was still able to have both the seat heating and lumbar support options in my manual seats which I would like to take without being forced to have the power seats option
8) For all the above reasons, the extra and big cost that BMW asks for power/memory seats is irrelevant for me. I could use that money for other stuff which have real functions in a sports car and I did so.
Obviously I am a big fan of manual seats, especially in cars like the 1M where basically everything else is also kept manual and simple
I could feel otherwise with a shared, four/five door and autobox family car though.
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.