Up until a few weeks ago, I was deciding between a used R56 Mini Cooper S, or a used 08 135i. I was actually trying to purchase a MCS, because I already own a 335i, but in the end, I still opted for the 135i.
- In terms of resale value, the MCS is unbelievably high. I was very surprised.
- Both cars have their share of issues, so one is not more reliable than the other.
- MCS is a great FWD car. On track, a modified MCS w/ LSD can out corner my 335i any day. The fact it's FWD is no negative.
- 135i the 08 model has the N54 engine we all know and love.
- If you're into RWD dynamics, the 135i is the way to go. Despite being impressed with the MCS FWD, I still prefer the cornering dynamics of a RWD when at the limit.
- As others mentioned, a lot of people purchase the MCS because of the styling. In that respect, I prefer it over the 135i.
- For me, the 135i styling was a negative because I already own a 335i. Before I bought it, I already knew I was going to get the 'you bought the same car' remarks
In the end, for a few $K more on the used market, I was able to purchase a 135i. Since I love the N54 engine, and understand the problems of owning it, I opted for the 135i. Because of the high resale value of the MCS, I thought the used 135i was a better bargain.