More updates... Two of my friends and I went to Philip Island for the Marque Sports Car Association Super Sprints on the 25th of November. This was my first proper track day as my only previous experience was the Haunted Hills event. Needless to say I was both excited and slightly apprehensive on the day. Luckily the rain cleared before we got any proper track time so that cleared one concern from my mind, leaving me concentrate on trying to figure out the braking points and lines etc.
Forgot to bring my memory card so I "shared" my friends camera
We then decided to sneak onto the skidpan area for some photos...
Wasn't really happy with the runs that I put down as I was still exploring the track and had too much traffic (was in the novice class... and rightfully so haha). Some things that I got out of the day:
1) The wider tyres really help put the power down. Night and day difference... until they decide to overheat, which happened faster than I expected, especially in the later sessions where I was pushing a bit harder.
2) Rear guards need to be rolled. Tyres were rubbing quite badly, particularly through the two fast left handers (turns 9 & 12)... enough to leave marbles of rubber on the guards themselves.
3) Brakes need more feel. I only became confident enough to really step on them in the last two sessions.
4) The real surprise was the suspension.. and not in a good way unfortunately. Contrary to what I thought at Haunted Hills, it felt really soft and floaty... the body roll was even a bit scary at times! Sway bars and springs/coilovers are moving to the top of my list of mods... when funds permit
5) The engine is absolutely amazing. It pulls so nicely coming out of corners and the sound as it reaches 7000rpm is addictive. Love it to bits.