Rep

Drives: 128, Z3 Coupe, 318Ti * 2

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [5.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [5.00]
2008 128i  [4.50]
Post Warranty Blues

As as early adopter of a 1 series, I had some expectations of teething pains of my 2008 128. I was pretty lucky with my car, It's been in the shop for a few things, mostly recalls. That includes:

Cracking Brake light
Bumpy seats
Replacement of the MULF
Replacement of the iPod connector
Replacement of the 128 lifters
Replacement of the rear lights
Replacement of the crappy run flats @ 25k.
Software update
4 rotors and pads

At 4 years and 50k (About the same time), I had my independent BMW mechanic do a once over and I thought most of the problems had been ironed out, in fact my mechanic thought the car was in great shape and should last a while. I have planned to keep this car for as long as I can. I didn't buy the extended warranty.

So... in the last six months (post warranty), the car seems to be falling apart....

There is an incredible creak in the front center of the dash, to which my dealer says he'd have to remove the dash (600$)
The passenger airbag is so much more noticeable
The VANOS crapped out and needed to be replaced (300$)
The angel eyes burned out and the dealer quoted me 250$ to remove the bumper to replace that light. (I did it myself!)
And yesterday, the Steptronic upshift on the shifter quit working (Estimate 1000$).

So.. it's a bummer. Do I start pouring money into the car? Will it be reliable? Should I dump it?

Oh.. and the dealer specifically tells me.. 'oh.. it's out of warranty' whenever I bring it into the shop.