View Single Post
      02-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #15
Second Lieutenant

Drives: AW BMW 1M

Originally Posted by Maximus_Prime
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I would call it passion, and from economical standpoint crazy as well. You own a rare car that has appreciated since you bought it. Even if the M2 is predicted to flop I'd consider selling.

I'm not trying to start a war - to each his own - I'm just saying if I'm ever lucky enough to own a car and then be able to sell it a few years later for profit it would be a no-brainer.
I've had this thought many times, but the question that I always end up at is "what do I replace it with?" I mean once I sell my 1M I have to replace it with something. The problem is that in the $50K-$60K price range there doesn't appear to be a worthy replacement. In fact, this forum is full of owners who have had sports cars that cost double the price of the 1M and that perform better on a track (e.g., 911, GTR), but those owners have consistently picked their 1M as their preferred car.

It's hard for non-owners to understand this, but the 1M just feels "special." You have to spend hours behind the wheel to get what I mean. I won't get into it here, but that kind of feeling can't be replicated easily. So, even though its price may not have changed much from MSRP when new, making a few thousands dollars by selling it now is not worth driving a less fulfilling replacement to me. I'm assuming that's true for most of the current 1M owners.

People looking to buy a used 1M need to forget what the car cost new. It's one of the rare cars for which its original price is not a factor in determining its current value. They need to understand that the first batch of speculators sold their 1Ms a long time ago. The remaining owners are the auto enthusiasts who had been waiting for a car like this for a long time. They aren't going to give it up if there's nothing else out there worthy of replacing it with.

I work in the medical field, so just imagine the cars in the parking lot, every time that a Doctor test drive my little monster wants to buy it from me. You should see the little kid smile on their faces. And that my friend is priceless.
AW BMW 1M, N55 mid pipe, Lightweight titanausphalangen CF front splitter, Bmw Performance CF rear spoliler, LUX AE, IND goodies...