View Single Post
      02-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #52
Major General

Drives: M2 (Mineral Grey 6MT)

Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
The top speed limiter is one area where the Germans can be less than precise in my experience.
When I lived in Germany I had an E46 M3. I attempted to find the limiter many times and was never successful, despite the fact that I saw 290+ kph indicated (yes, the speedo was a little optimistic, but not that much).
While the listed limiter speed is generally 250 kph, your mileage may vary, as they say. Especially on older Audi RS and BMW M models. Today manufactures occasionally offer a raised speed limiter as an option, where previously they just did it on some of the faster cars and didn't tell anyone (nudge nudge, wink wink). German engineers get a little competitive sometimes...
October 2010, when some journalists had driven the 1M test mule:
"BMW claims that this 3308-pound machine will sprint from 0 to 62 mph in 4.3 seconds.
Top speed will be governed to 155 mph, but there will be an option to raise Vmax to 168 mph, as with other M cars."

Later, BMW seems to have muzzled 1M performance information in official figures releases (no trespassing on the M3 territory):
"BMW engineers and execs have been quoted several times saying things like «it won't step on the M3's toes»"
Back in those days, they also indicated that a CF roof would be optional - too bad it didn't make it to the final version. Time and budget constraints, you know.
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)