View Single Post
      05-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #46
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Just installed the RB pistons with the stock pressure seals, which were still in perfect condition.

Reason for reusing the stock pressure seals:
After inspecting the Centric ones, it was disappointing to find that their sizes are slightly different than the stock ones. The one for the largest piston is smaller than the stock size and is a tight fit (slightly stretched) on the piston. And the one for the middle piston is slightly larger. The one for the smallest piston is the only one that is about identical. I installed these Centric ones first but the pistons could not slide in without using a clamp. Even with the clamp, there was too much friction and resistance. I concluded the Centric seals must only be used matched with their own pistons.

Happy to report the RB's pistons are the same exact size as the stock pistons. There were installed with the high temperature dust boots. Brake fluid was used to lube the seals and pistons. The bottom third of the pistons were carefully dipped in brake fluid before inserting into their bores and made sure these dust boots did not contact the fluid.

Pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1