View Single Post
      12-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335
The Gen 2 BT adapter for Android and IOS enable coding of F-series cars (F1x 5-series, F3x 3- and 4-series, 2-series, etc.) among other things, although the updated app to do F-series coding is not yet out. Both are now available from Amazon, but I've not ever seen one that uses wi-fi. They also have cables for model years 2004 and older. I've been waiting for this new adapter because coding my 2013 F30 335i using E-Sys and a cable is not near as easy as using Carly and the BT adapter on the wife's 2011 E88 128i.

The current adapter allows diagnostics/code reading/clearing on F-series cars, but no coding. As far as detecting custom coding and warranty issues, I've been doing it since 2010 and never had any issues. It all depends on what might go wrong, like if you code mirrors to fold when locking the car, and you have a mirror motor go bad. They could deny warranty because the mirrors were folded/unfolded more than if they had been left at the factory setting. Which raises the question of why that option, along with hundreds of others, is available? I've coded the Weatherband option in my 335i's head unit and now I can get NOAA weather reports. Why would they not code that from the factory if it's there, and there could be no harm done to cause warranty issues. It all comes down to what warranty issue you claim and how the dealership handles it.
You need the wifi version for iOS devices.
Appreciate 0