Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Lol, I'll say this once and take my leave because I don't care to get into a pissing match.

You're wrong. I sold Kyle that Ypipe that I bought from Burns stainless, I orginally planned to do a full single from the header back to save weight and maximize power. The problem was is the Y pipe placed that close will lose power, and I'm not asking, I'm telling you.

I made a whole thread (and you're welcome to check it out) dedicate to figuring out how to gain extra power out of the exhaust, spent countless hours reading, asking questions and recounting my own experience helping design an exhaust for a friend. The conclusion is that the stock placement is best and moving it where you want will cause significant reduction in low end torque for the exact reason I gave to Kyle.
You guys are both right. Replacing as much of the stock with single 3" (i.e. moving the Y merge as far up, closer to headers) will shave most weight and increase top end / peak hp. The issue is however you sacrifice low and mid range torque, below 4500 rpm or so. Your decision to where to place the merge has to be a conscious decision.

For example the Bimmerworld 3" race exhaust for the s54 places the merge right by the headers. This is marketed towards race cars where you're doing most of your driving in the higher rev range. Rogue's Diablo exhaust however places the merge after section 1 as to not sacrifice the torque and would be better suited for street or dual duty cars.

End of day, just make sure you go mandrel with least number of sharp bends as possible and exit with a high flowing muffler.
Thanks for chiming in, I was going to tag you, but it wasn't worth the pissing match. But the Y placement is why you felt some low end loss on your build, and it's also why Supersprint keeps the placement essentially unchanged on their system.
Appreciate 0