View Single Post
      05-31-2017, 04:54 AM   #37
drwillb
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: e30 M3, e30 M3, e46 M3

The floors are done and I've got my garage back but now I only have 9 days left before I leave for Watkins Glen. I'm ready to do the rear end swap but the shop I had lined up started getting flaky and asking for all sorts of measurements and then the whole cut and weld thing became a problem.

Seems to me that the front half should not get any changes at all and the rear half (M3 donor) just gets shortened to whatever then new overall length is. Easy Peasy.

If anyone has a lead on a NJ shop that would be ideal.

Plan B is to have a 1 piece shaft made up but I have not heard anyone give feedback on those. I know these are used on the track but how do they stand up with daily use and salty roads, etc.

Plan C is to have a 135 LSD made up, keep the stock driveshaft, get the HPA 1M rear shock adapters so I can run 1M suspension all around, do the control arm and bushing upgrade, and deal with the above later.

Plan D is run the stock open diff on the track, get the HPA 1M rear shock adapters so I can run 1M suspension all around, do the control arm and bushing upgrade, and deal with the above later.

Plan E: buy a 1M driveshaft since this is made to fit an M3 diff with the N55 tranny. My 2012 135i with M3 rear subframe will match those specs.

Being a "frequent flyer" at my local dealer, I've earned a healthy discount tier. By the time I add up shipping costs, aggravation, parts, and labor in order to make a Frankenshaft I'll be close in cost to a brand new, shiny 1M driveshaft.

I'm off to the dealer this morning.
Yeineken1336.50