View Single Post
      09-05-2017, 12:52 AM   #173
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Last year, I did a Sandown track day and only did several laps before the rear turbo wastegate siezed up and stock open. The heat of the exhaust must have caused the wastegate to bind up and stop working.

Ruined the day and had no confidence in taking the car to track days after that, apart from a couple days at Haunted Hills (not very stressfull on the car)

i would like to do more track days so I decided to purchase a set of brand new OEM Mitsubishi turbos. I considered aftermarket but everyone I know personally has had problems with smoking and not lasting longer than a few k kms. Single turbo would be a reliable option but very costly and require the car off the road for too long.

Purchased the new turbos off eBay with the 10% discount code and ordered the install kit from FCP. Also ordered new oil drains as they tend to get kinked up or blocked on removal, the install kit ended up being around $400 .

Luckily the process of installing the turbos went quite smoothly. I decided to remove the steering rack and subframe completely from the car, which saved a lot of grief and didn't take too much longer to disassemble. I took the opportunity to clean all the parts and degrease everything from the car. I also tightened up the Mitsubishi wastegates as I have previously installed these new turbos on another car and it had rattle on acceleration. I didn't want to risk it as I have enjoyed rattle free operation of my car (even on my old turbos) and didn't want to start now. I applied vacuum on my old turbos until they closed, then did the same on the brand new OEMs. The OEMs were a tad looser so I put an extra 2 turns of preload so theyd match up.

Very happy with the install, everything went smoothy and no leaks or issues. Cannot wait to get it back on track
Attached Images