View Single Post
      07-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Different tires F/R messes with electronic braking?

Recently I was reading a little about the ABS / DSC unit and its variable bias, which reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while.

Let's say someone has new summer sport tires in front and old runflats in back. Will this cause any issues with the ABS that would make the car stop at less than its potential?

You would think not but I did this a couple years ago when I was into killing tires and my impression was it impairs the braking. I was driving the car with DSC OFF at a track day and had no issues other than the expected with the imbalance when cornering and accelerating (it's fun with more front grip than rear) but braking is less consistent and effective than you would expect, even after taking into account the lessened grip of the rear tires and all the adjustment and prediction the system does without being recoded, the behavior of which I was well familiar with at that point. My car had a stripped rear and stock suspension at the time, so I would imagine the weight bias was very far forward under braking anyhow, so it shouldn't have mattered. But it felt like the system was being tricked.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0