View Single Post
      01-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #37
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmx View Post
I have noticed since the E36 generation with "professional" race cars the driver applies such input and the the front end of the car visibly oscillates and even skips along the surface. I see this a lot on American race-prepped E36s but I do not know anything about the condition of rubber, track, ie. surface type etc. The tyre, roll-centre, surface type are key variables regardless of suspension, specifically front/rear spring rate coupling. I've assumed they don't know wtf they're doing and have slammed the front for more static camber while ruining or not correcting the roll-centre. Who knows. Or maybe crap tyres, brash inputs etc - a lot can cause that.

Anyway, I NEVER see such things on raeder motorsport (Manthey Racing), schirmer cars lapping the ring. You can see this slight behavior in my own car at 0:38 in the first video.
Just to give an example other than the M235iR... since someone said race cars don't run neutral balanced springs, and you mentioned Manthey racing, here are the build specs for the SRO GT4 MR.

https://www.manthey-racing.de/Techni...port_MR_V1.pdf

A car with 45/55 weight distribution, relatively close to 1:1 motion ratio in both the front and the rear (mcpherson struts), and they are homulgated to run several spring packages that are all close to a 3Hz and would produce a relatively flat-ride:

The following spring configurations are available:
130-140 (VA) MTH343530 and 130-170 (HA) MTH333534
120-140 (VA) MTH333533 and 110-170 (HA) MTH333535
150-140 (VA) MTH333531 and 150-170 (HA) MTH333532

They run a front sway with a very wide range of adjustment which is where most of the on-site "balancing" is done. Pretty interesting to see the types of equipment that goes into these cars... KW clubsports with basic 2 way adjustment. Same as the M235iR. People run more pimp suspension on their HPDE cars!

Quite honestly, 99% of the most useful information I have found (practical/applied) has been on RC forums and not "real race car" threads. Want to see someone nerd out about roll centers and suspension frequencies? Go check out an RC car forum lol Using WinGeo to plot their cars and tune suspensions. Not as practical on a real world scale but all the same principles apply.

Start with Episode 1 and continue through episode 10:

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-06-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0