View Single Post
      07-30-2020, 02:39 AM   #5
Rbohn1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Was the flex disc maybe damaged when the shaft was dropped. It may have been fine until stressed during the process.
I'm not sure, I didn't completely pull the heat shielding during the install so I never got a look at the guibo or even touched the front half of the driveshaft. I didn't even think to inspect it because I never had any issues with it prior to all this. My car does have just over 130k miles though so I'm sure the guibo was probably almost due for replacement anyways, and I wouldn't be surprised if wrenching on the giant nut where the driveshaft connects to the diff could have accelerated the issue.

I didn't actually remove the driveshaft or drop it on the ground at any point though. I just tied the end of driveshaft up while I had the diff/subframe out. But I had to cut the driveshaft down and slip the end of it onto the connection to the diff in order to get it properly positioned and bolt it in, and I accidently pulled the diff a bit too far back causing the end of the driveshaft to slip off and hang freely. I immediately grabbed it and tied it back up, but the center support bearing took all the weight when it fell which is why I think that could be the issue. Not to mention the driveshaft hung at like a 90 degree angle when it slipped off, and I don't think that joint is designed to flex that much..

I decided to just order a new center support bearing and guibo anyways since they're likely overdue. Looks like everything will be here in Friday so hopefully I'll get a chance to install them over the weekend and report back.
Appreciate 0