View Single Post
      06-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

If the car hasn't been driven much, my sense is that time-based services tend to be wasteful.

As an example, when my 1M was under warranty I was doing yearly oil changes even in the face of relatively low annual mileage. Used oil analysis (UOA) of each of these changes suggested that the oil had many, many miles to go. I did it for peace of mind and because the dealer did them free each year, but logically speaking it was probably unnecessary.

It would be helpful to know what specific things were done at the two services you mentioned.

At the 2012 service the differential fluid should have been changed as part of the break-in service. It doesn't bother me a ton that nothing seemed to be done for the next 6500 miles -- a good synthetic oil will last that long (based on my experience with UOAs) and I don't think the time interval is a dealbreaker, even though I would have changed it if it were my personal car.

However, doing nothing to the car between 2015 (8k miles) and 2021 (20k miles) seems a bit neglectful; this interval makes me worry more about insufficient maintenance.
(Then again, if in 2015 every single fluid were changed, there would be less angst.)

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
Hi all, I am based in the UK, and used to have a 1M which I bought from new and made the mistake of selling!

Now looking to buy another, and looking at a few options.

One of the cars I'm looking at has a relatively low mileage (< 20k). Am I right in thinking that these cars need to be serviced based on time and not just mileage ? Only asking as it was. 2012 car, serviced as follows:
- 2012 @ 1500 miles (running in ?)
- 2015 @ 8000 miles

But nothing else since. Seems like it hasn't been serviced properly ? Or is this in line with BMW standards ?

Does anyone know if the car (with this history) can be sold as an Approved Used BMW ?

Any thoughts welcomed!
Appreciate 0