cerealwars
Riffraff
Rep
Drives: 128i 6M, 1UZ S13, '62 C10

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JawChuck View Post
One trick I have learned doing dozens of hypoid drive systems is the machined sides of the ring gear and pinion form a parallel surface that is machined when the gear is hobbed. This flat plane can be used to eye ball the install of both gears to get it very close to perfect alignment and depth which usually only requires a side clearance adjustment to refine the back lash.

In other words a straight edge placed on this machined surface should be flush on both gears…no light showing when checked with a straight edge.
Hey Chuck, how does this work? I'm having a hard time visualizing where you are talking about. Which parallel surfaces? There are several machined faces on both parts - the most obvious of which are the teeth. Are you suggesting to check the airgap between the tooth mesh? Or like, the back face of the pinion and the OD of the ring gear?

I have rebuilt several diffs and would love to know this shortcut for checking. One shortcut I can recommend is to grab the pinion and give it a rotational shake. Feel the stock backlash before you take it apart. Spidertri's advice to measure it is even better.

I have made assembly errors with these in the past, and after feeling the stock interface it is immediately obvious whether you got it right or not.
Appreciate 1
blnk-128130.50