Thread: Cracks in PS4S
View Single Post
      02-20-2024, 06:47 AM   #10
sibanez
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 Civic SI, 11 128i, 04 GX470

I really wouldn't worry about that. Falken RT660s have similar "cracking", but with the tread.

Those temps shouldn't impact the tire too much.

If you want to try another tire, the Continental ExtremeContact Sport 2 is probably the droid you are looking for. Better in the wet, tend to manage temps better and doesn't wear as much on camber-challenged cars.

The Pilot Sport 4S is an awesome tire, but has its limits. When pushed on track, you'll see chunking and excessive wear on the front, unless your camber is set up just right. What you are showing looks similar, I think it's just where the rubber mold stops. I've had the 4S chunk badly during a HPDE and never had issues with the tire, you'll live.

The Continental is a bit more friendly and wears more evenly. You lose a tiny bit of dry traction, but only the smallest.

The RE71RS is an awesome tire, but it isn't really meant to be a daily driver. They wear quickly and will heat cycle out before the tread is gone. Pretty much any 200TW tire will due this.

Plus, you won't notice the difference in traction on the streets, you are talking about maybe 1.5 to 2 seconds on a 60-second autocross course.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
demas189.50