12-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #71
gocal73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut View Post
I assume you feel the same about other computer contolled aspects of the modern Bimmer (e.g. DTC, DSC, etc)?
As long as you can turn off the DTC, DSC, ASC, whatever, you retain driver control. As for engine management software, it is generally a good thing, but it can also be modified to suit the driver's needs. The same cannot be said for an automatic transmission unless you really believe that Sport mode is the same as a manual transmission. Sorry, but the lack of a clutch pedal is a sure clue that it is not. There's a reason why the 135i manual does 0-60 faster than the 135i Step. Plus, once in the twisties nothing compares to the manual.

:roundel:Rant Warning: BMW made it's mark as a driver's car. Along the way BMW has compromised to sell cars in America (the notable exception being the M-cars). By doing so they have become financially successful. But, at a price. They have turned their Ultimate Driving Machines into a designer label. The 3 series is the latest BMW to fall victim to super-sizing with an automatic because we know all Americans are big, fat, lazy and only buy the car for the Roundel. The American way. Now, BMW gives the enthusiast another chance by returning to their roots with a performance coupe in the spirit of the 2002tii, e30 325is, e46 zhp. The 1-series is here to re-establish BMW as a serious driver's car. This thing is just that. There's nothing practical or family about it (at least not by American standards). It's a relatively expensive 2+2, distinctively styled and engineered to be a hell raiser. The typical 3, 5 & 7 series buyer will not touch this car with a 10 foot pole - which is a good thing. I rejoice! Give me my little Bimmer with that sweet straight 6 and 6 glorious MANUALLY shifted gears! Don't blow it America! Do not pollute the potential of this wonderful machine with an automatic transmission. Take full control and drive this sucker!
Appreciate 0