View Single Post
      02-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #27
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

If I were influencing decisions at BMW, I would hold off on any performance 1er until the model is well established - definitiely not in the first MY.

The M1 would have to be the essence of BMW performance - and not just a smaller, more affordable M3. While design-to-cost may have been a priority for making the 1er an entry-level BMW, the M1 should not be bound by that. Done correctly, an M1 based on the 1er could be about all-out performance: aggressive ground effects; uncompromising suspension with LSD and slight oversteer bias; lighter weight; and something like 340 bhp. Even different body panels, with more aggressive wheel arches etc. a la E36 M3. It should merit an M3 price point.

Done correctly, it could epitomize BMW performance and could be a halo car, despite it's link to the entry-level model. The 1er is the new direction for BMW. 750iL and 545i are things of the past. Even the 3 Series is barely grasping to it's roots as a peformance 2+2.

But like I said, the 1er needs to establish itself, get credibility in the market on it's own merit, and then serve as the basis for an M car that will not only deserve the M1 moniker, but will re-write "BMW M" in a way that is fresh and distinct from the M3, M5, M6 and the M Z4.

Should they call it an M1? Hell ya. But it better deserve it...