View Single Post
      08-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #28
fshowcars
Getting Pulled Over
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135iPSU View Post
So what would that be, if you would to scale it, 1 being change gears at about 4k and 10 being peddle to the metal at every green light as if you are a professional racecar driver lol
haha... it's all personal preference... really the most important part of the motor is the heat cycling... I do NOT beat on the car until it's hot... and i don't know if any of you other guys noticed, but I noticed two things, the 1 series runs HOT... i mean 250 is pretty hot for being operating temp... and two, man does it take a while to get to operating temp... I only drive about 8 miles to work and it takes 7 of those miles to get the car heated up... typically with turbo cars they heat up in 5 minutes... at least my experience.

anyway... I've romped on my car, power shifted and run through the gears pretty good... i have 3100 miles on the car... so obviously I didn't wait X amount of miles to rev over 4k and shit like that...haha...

these days the motors are built with such tight tolerances that a break in is menial... I'm not sure if the n54 engine uses crank bearings, but typically head design just cuts right into the head with no bearings... and i wouldnt be suprised if block design when this direction... so there is nothing to really 'break in'... ya know?

I've give it a couple hundred of just heat cycling and not beating on it... seat the rings and let the valves run through some lubrication cycles... otherwise treat it right and drive it like it was suppose to be.

Appreciate 0