View Single Post
      10-03-2008, 07:48 AM   #7
jrc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
In light of these numbers, I've actually been driving very conservatively for the past few hundred miles just to see how good my MPG can be. If anything, I'm hoping it's just a case of a malfunctioning MPG display.
Coincidentally, I have also been driving conservatively for the past couple of tanks just to see how the car (135MT) does. I have about a 30 minute commute each way, about 20 minutes of it at about 65 - 70 mph and the other 10 minutes 25-45 neighborhood, stop and go etc. My current average for 3 tanks is 25.2 mpg, which I'm pleased with.

I haven't gone to extremes (like turning engine off after 4 seconds as per the OM), but I have utilized a few techniques that were counterintuitive to me compared to doing this exercise with past cars. For example, if I was going for high mpg in previous cars (manual) I would always have coasted to stop lights in neutral. Someone on this board pointed out that the 1er is actually more economical when left in gear with foot completely off accelerator as gas is completely cut off that way. And it's true--using that technique the instant mpg read out is 99.9mpg, while coasting in neutral is lower.

On teh other hand, I'm sure that when I finally get this car out to the track, the average will be well below 10mpg--probably 6-8 I'm guessing. Oh well