View Single Post
      02-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #22
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

I also get calls all the time from enthusiasts that try claying their vehicles and end up in the same position as you. I end up going out and repairing the paint that has been damaged. Its an art, thats why its sometimes best to have the PRO's do the job. I certainly would not perform heart surgery on myself, or perform a root canal on one of my teeth.

At Innovative Detailing we would go out to the customer, correct the paint and then Educate the client so that they can maintain the finish using the proper techniques. This way you will feel comfortable and confident that scratching your car in the future will be avoided when maintaining it or detailing it.

Here at Innovative Detailing we answer this common question all the time...

Q. My car is brand new, should I really have it detailed?

A: Absolutely, you just made a large investment and now its time to ensure that your vehicle is protected. Car dealers rarely complete full details on new cars. During transit these vehicles collect debris and contaminants, then they sit sometimes on the lot sometimes for months. So when you pull off the lot there are a ton of contaminants still bonded on the paints surface, along with water spots which are sometimes visible. Having you car detailed at this point will ensure that your vehicle looks better than the day you bought it and lead you in the right direction toward lasting protection and beauty.

Q. When, why and how would I perform a surface evaluation?

A. Surface evaluations should be done after you have washed and dried your car. The purpose of a surface evaluation is so you know the precise condition of the painted surface and prepare to take the necessary steps to correct any paint flaws you may detect. The first step in conducting a surface evaluation is wash and dry the vehicle, then evaluate the condition of the paint paying particular attention to the brightness and brilliance of the color, while searching for swirl marks, surface scratches, fading, oxidation, overspray and other paint blemishes.

Q. What does a clay bar do?

A: Claying is a process that is designed to remove environmental contaminants in your Clearcoat while leaving a clean smooth glass like finish ready for Wax or Sealant. The clay we are talking about Better known as Clay Magic is similar to the toy "Play-doh" that children enjoy although a special kind is required for car detailing. It performs it's function by deep cleaning the contaminants from the surface of the paint. Giving the car a smooth showroom surface like the day one buys his car.

Q. What are the distinctions between polishes and waxes?

A: There is a lot of confusion about the difference between a polish and a wax. Many manufacturers are marketing waxes as polishes. You have to read the labels closely to really understand what the product does. Professionals know there is a difference between the two. A pure polish is more like a paint conditioner that restores valuable oils to the paint, eliminates fine scratches and creates incredible high gloss that would not be possible with wax. An application of a pure polish should be followed by waxing to protect the shine and extend its life. If you own a dark car, you'll see a dramatic difference, if you apply polish before you wax. If you want a great finish and to hide the scratches, it is best to use quality cleaners, pure polishes and waxes that restore the surface properly.

Hope this helps you!

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Mobile Auto Salon O.C. Cali

"DETAILING CARS IS A FORM OF ART. MOST APPRECIATE IT, BUT FEW POSSESS THE REQUIRED SKILL AND EVEN FEWER UNDERSTAND IT"

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 02-25-2009 at 10:24 PM..
Appreciate 0