03-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #29
J Tyler
My ride: bimmergirl84
United_States
Rep
Drives: For free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkcormier View Post
Thanks Jeff. Just to be clear, won't disconnecting the rear bar also induce more understeer? But as you said, that's a free mod to determine how much of an improvement it will make.

And Yes I disabled all the electronic controls by holding down the DTS button for 4 seconds. It was my understanding that you can't disable the electronic LSD entirely. And as I mentioned above, I could hear the rear brakes pulsating since my pads were squeeling. And at the end one of my run sessions, as I pulled off-line to allow a car to pass, I picked up a ton of marbles. So after cool-down I went out to the service road and did a short 1st gear burn-out to clean the rear tires. I left about a 15 foot stripe with my just my left rear, which then shifted to a 15 foot stripe with just my right rear. Very odd, but I chalked it up to the LSD braking the spinning wheel, which put enough resistance on the car to break the other tire loose. You would think without any LSD I would leave one 30 foot stripe
Yes, disconnecting the rear will add understeer.

Hmm... It's odd, I've driven 2 cars (our 135i and a friend's 335i) that spun the inside rear tire easily after holding the TC button down for 4 seconds. There was no electronic intervention. But, then I read online about people saying the E-LSD works even after they hold the TC button down... Not sure how to explain that! To me, it's obvious when the E-LSD is working and when it's not.

What you described about the car laying down one strip and then switching to spinning the other tire is exactly what an open diff with a powerful car will do (with no electronic intervention). First one tire will spin, and that will actually cause the rear to step out ever so slightly, and that creates a small cornering force which puts load on the spinning tire; it then regains grip because it has more load on it than the other tire, and the other tire starts spinning.

When our car had an open diff, it spun the inside tire easily after holding down the DSC button:

Appreciate 0