Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

EDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Thanks guys - the clincher for me is whether the fact that the car I'm looking at doesn't have M-drive or EDC would be a problem. Some pple I have spoken to reckon EDC in sport mode is way too harsh for normal driving and only really useful on the track.

Taka...you spend a bit of time on the track. Would not having EDC be a negative point for you?
I recently attended a BMW training day at QLD raceway driving the M3's all day including numerous high speed laps. I drove the coupe with the EDC both on and off. Turn 1 has a very bumpy brake zone leading into a fairly fast 3rd gear right hander. With the EDC off, the bumps tended to slightly unsettle the car and made it harder for me to hold my preferred line through the corner. With EDC on I managed it a bit better but I'm no expert. For the rest of the track which is fairly smooth, I couldn't tell much difference between the two settings.

For what it's worth, we asked Geoff Brabham about it and he say he leaves his car set up with the EDC in the soft setting all the time (i.e. what you'd have without the EDC option). And that's on the track. He preferred it that way and said it was plenty firm enough.

I imagine for the street his advice would apply even more so.
Appreciate 0