08-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #38
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis3582 View Post
I don't get it - you say you have HPFP issues, but you're not sure it's the HPFP? Are you getting codes/long cranks?

I meant to say "HPFP failure symptoms" instead of issues.

I don't get long cranks, and I'm not sure if I'm getting the codes. The standard OBDII readers won't pull the BMW specific codes. What I do get is a rough running car that goes into limp mode on the interstate on long trips. When I pull over it will sputter and cough, and seems like it's running rich. Then I turn it off for a few minutes, and it's fine. Sometimes the problem comes back, sometimes it doesn't.

It ONLY happens on long trips, and sometimes not even then, so it's extremely hard to figure out what's actually going on. It did it once when the car was stock, and then stopped. Dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it other than a cylinder 2 misfire. They reset it, and I didn't see it again for months (because I wasn't taking any long trips), so I put an SSTT on. Next trip I made, the car went into limp. I pulled the SSTT off for the trip home, and it did the same thing. Later on I put a JB3 on the car and made a trip to FL and back, as well as a couple of other 7 hour trips with no issues, and I was honestly thinking the problem was gone, until last week when it came back.

As I said earlier I'm going to order a BT scanner before my next trip and try to pin it down, but it acts like the fuel pump when I'm on the highway.
Appreciate 0