01-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
There's nothing wrong about such an approach, even though I kindly disagree. I rather think of it that way: The M1 was not only the beginning of the Motorsport GmbH, which in turn was the predecessor of the M GmbH like we know it today. It was also the first and - sadly - only mid-engined car M ever has 'built'. Using the M1 designation for the M-variant of the E82 would be like Mercedes announcing an SLK 'gull-wing'. There are some things that never should be done, no matter how enticing it is from a marketing point of view, and this is one of them.

The fact that some dealer (which seems to be focused on rare and exclusive cars to me) offers three or four of them, doesn't make it less of a car. Just have a look at the prices they call for it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for an M 1 series and I might even consider an M E82 convertible, but the name would have to be different in my opinion.

Best regards,
south

Does everybody forget that the M1 was as much a lamborghini as it was a BMW? One can argue that the Audi R8 is an M1 sucessor, as it is a combination of Lamborghini and a German manufacturer.

Im just saying that any number of things can be agrued and that you can go in circles for hours with just these debates and until BMW actually announces the car than we are just wasting bandwidth with our words.

And the fact of the matter is that I and many other people will buy this car, no matter what it is named.

And the E82 vert is the E88.

Appreciate 0