View Single Post
      02-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #119
TiptronicSoldier
Rep
Drives: Full Bolt-On M6, XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmitchell View Post
I cant say i'm a fan, especially at this price... terry produced comprehensive results on the open air intake which concluded it to be the best: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Intake

PLUS the fact that the air is ducted adds restriction and causes the turbos to work a hell of a lot harder. therefore the temp decrease you are saving by the close/ducted system is negated by the extra effort. basically unless you can show something amazing on the dyno and prove terry wrong, i am buying the bms open intake ALL DAY
but best of luck to u, i hope you prove it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72
So if I am reading this correctly:
It does then suck in all the hot air from the engine. I think I was the first to say upon seeing one of the very first open air intakes on Walked U's car that it would suck in too much hot air.
I posted this long ago, some believed it, some dismissed it.
But having a 30 degree increase at the intake seems to support that.

It appears the best of both worlds would be an open intake that has a great heat shield and/or "ram air" intake tubing that directs more cool air into the filter but the heat shield protects the intake from sucking in all the hot air from the engine (similiar to what the stock airbox does).
This way you wouldn't get the +30 degree increase at the intake but still get the benefits of more air in and possibly getting BETTER than 30 degree decreases from the turbos doing less work.

Just imagine the decrease in temps at the turbos if the turbos not only didn't have to work as hard sucking the air in, but that air wasn't 30 degrees hotter like it is in open filter setups, but rather 30 or more degrees cooler from a heat shielded true CAI.
I've done testing with heat shields and the IAT reduction was pretty minimal, and by ducting the air you start to bring back the restriction. The bottom line is at this point I think the normal dual cone (or BMS single) is the best intake for all around performance at higher boost levels. At stock boost levels, the factory intake is adequate. But open intake will not cost you power.
Is there not a way to import air additionally to the slim ducts at the front of the engine bay? I am not familiar with the engine bays too well because I have spent a total of 30 minutes looking in one while helping install a pin out. The rest I have seen is from PDFs about the N54 motor design and threads. A hood with vents, like the vorsteiner, would be really cool for this car with a heat shield made for it.
Appreciate 0