04-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #10
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920 View Post
Being in the UK. I would be ecstatic if the difference between the two was "only" £8000. I was expecting more like £10000.

The M1 would likely come with Sat Nav as standard like the M3 which is a £2000 option in itself and isn't standard on the 135i. Thus the "real" difference may only be £6000!

Bargain!
Not sure how to take this article from Autocar, personally I think the figure is about right as I actually doubt the 1M will receive Sat/Nav as standard. My belief is a more back to basics type of M car with goodies look Sat/Nav only available from the options list to not only keep the price down but the weight too. In fact I will be surprised if this car is offered with a complete M-drive setup that is similar to the one in the M3, else where in the world things like M-Drive and Sat/Nav are extras and in their more cost effective M I doubt it will be any different.

The thing that at a bit confusing is the projected output figures, 350hp is in my opinion is about right for the weight and the competition but the suggested 310ft/lbs of torque seems rather low considering the 2.5TFSI from Audi produces 332ft/lbs. If and when this engine gets relocated into an A3, calling itself an RS3 then surely the 1M would require more grunt to maintain a competitive edge. The only logical reason is an engine that revs north of 7000rpm thus giving it the feel of a natural aspirated engine but again I don't expect the actual figure to be this low.

Other things I question is a 6sp DCT, why do that when they already have this very engine working well with their 7sp? Such suggestions aren't logical in my mind.
Appreciate 0