View Single Post
      04-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #38
Brigadier General

Drives: 128i convertible

I did my second oil change today at about 5500 miles. I am only driving my 128i a few days a week. I get a break on insurance for staying under 7500 miles a year which is easily possible since I have a perfectly good SUV (which is admittedly not as nice as the bimmer but better suited to some things).

Anyway, I get my 128i level this time and allowed it to drain for a really long time. I put in 6 quarts of BMW oil I got in a kit from Tischer and then just took it for a short drive around the neighborhood to see if it was full. It registers at the "Max" indicator. I will check it a few more times soon but it seems like mine really does not want 7 quarts. I thought maybe it was the fact I raised only the front last time but it does not seem to have made any difference.

A few other things I noted. First, to jack up all 4 corners, I jack at the rear jacking point on the passengers side, then put a stand under the front jacking point on the passengers side (jacking the rear raises the front too). Then I jack in the middle in the front (a little tight getting the jack in there without raising a corner, it's a harbor freight model and fairly low but not real low) and put the drivers front on stands. Then this time I jacked in the middle in the back to get all 4 corners on stands. Actually I put the stands under the back jacking points but just left the jack under it. If the jack failed I was safe but I thought it would save a little time. The release on the HF jack stuck, however, so it may have made it take longer. I just jack at the center both front and rear to remove the stands. It's a little tight in the front but the car sits slightly taller when it comes down that it does normally so I can get the jack out.

The cap of the oil filter housing says it needs 25 Nm torque. That did not cause the green dots to lineup this time but I torqued it to this value. That is the same torque as for the drain plug. It is higher than I would normally torque a drain plug but I am pretty sure this is what BMW calls for. 25Nm is 18.44 ft. lbs. My 3/8 torque wrench works well. My drain plug seemed a little tight on the first oil change which I attributed to paint but I now think it is just the BMW drain plug is tighter than I am used to.

I find it easiest to get to the drain plug from the front. That may not be true for a 135 due to the different front end.

I am going to make some short ramps out of 2x4s or 2x6s and see if that raises it enough I don't have to jack. Getting it in the air takes the most time. It will at least let me get to the center jacking point in the front. I can put a drain pan under it without anything raising it but it seems a bit tight to get the drain plug out with the drain pan in place. My stands put it much higher in the air than I need to change the oil. I could also get some floor mats to go under my ramps and use them (they slide with nothing under them).

128i Convertible, MT, Alpine White, Black Top, Taupe Leatherette, Walnut, Sport
Ordered 5/22/09, Completed 6/4/09, At Port 6/9/09, On the Georgia Highway 6/13/09, Ship Arrived Charleston 6/24/09 at 10pm, PCD 7/21/09