View Single Post
      05-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

If you're into art at all, or just generally trippy stuff, the Salvador Dalí Museum is a must see. It's right there in St. Pete, and has the worlds largest collection of his art.

As far as car related stuff, there's the Don Garlits drag racing museum on the way down (you'll drive right by it if you cut across on I10 and come down I75), and then there's a drag strip at Bradenton if you want to catch a "test and tune" night. Cars can put down good numbers in FL because you're at sea level, but it can also be pretty hot this time of year, which works against you.

I'm assuming you'll be coming down I81, then hitting I77 in VA, so word to the wise...when you hit the VA line, SLOW DOWN. I grew up in SW VA and lived in FL for 7 years, so I've done this trip a lot. There's a VA State Police HQ in Wythville, and they are absolutely brutal on speeders through there. You're only in the state for about 45 minutes, so it's not worth the risk to speed.

There's another serious speed trap just as you hit the SC border. The limit drops down to 60MPH, and they patrol it like crazy.
Appreciate 0