View Single Post
      08-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #1
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Exclamation BMW 1M Coupe Partially Unveiled at Oktoberfest! [INFO, VIDEO & PHOTOS]

As speculated before, BMW shows more details of the upcoming 1-series M Coupé at the BMW CCA Oktoberfest today. Since not all 1-M enthusiasts can attend that event, BMW just published a new teaser video on m-power.com. Enjoy!

Unless you haven't already, make sure to register at http://www.m-power.com to have access to more information. Plenty of information and media from the BMWCCA Oktoberfest presentation can be found in an online Closed Room there over the next couple of days.

Follow our full 1M coverage here: http://www.bimmerpost.com/1m/

Screen captures:

Name:  1mteaser1.jpg
Views: 50247
Size:  22.5 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 51076
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 50483
Size:  68.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 48004
Size:  68.3 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 51201
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 47478
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 51957
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 47854
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 52843
Size:  80.5 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 53555
Size:  97.7 KB

Pics from
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/08/27...w-1m-revealed/

Pics from elfhearse:

INTERCOOLER showing ?????

Some more details per bimmerfile.com:
  • The color is Valencia Orange Metallic, a new color exclusive to the 1M
  • Update: The engine is N54 based (see Bimmerfile's reasoning here and SCOTT26's confirmation below)
  • The 1M will be manual transmission only
  • Those are the M3 Competition Package wheels
  • The front air intake is pretty similar to the M3's, but even more pronounced
  • The side skirts are also much like the M3's in shape
  • The side vents will be 'outrageous' compared to the other M cars
  • Some minor detail in the revealed area of the M1 will be changed. Bimmerfile suggests it's related to the headlights.
  • The rear valance will have vents above the exhaust that protrude out and are angled slightly inward (see here, courtesy of bimmerfile)
  • There's an oil-cooler in-front of the front left wheel (see here)
  • The rear-view mirrors will look very familiar to E9X M3 owners (see here)

N54 Engine Confirmed (per Scott26)
:

Quote:
I see cars in the earlist stage but I have other projects to work on that I cannot afford to be distracted as I have many projects not only for cars but I also conceive stuff for BMWTV.de The German only BMW TV channel which in some cases do not involve cars. With each project now we have started to do Pre-visualisation on the computer because we can show it to the director and production crew and explain this is the angles we want to get the perfect shot.

The time window for this car is extremely tight and originally enthusiasm was not apparent until Dr. Kay Segler came to the M Division.
We had initially toyed with the idea of an 1M when we were conceiving the Coupe and did work with evaluation models then using the engine from the E46 and the upgraded E46 CSL engine but it proved to be too heavy for the car.

Originally in the early days of marketing the standard 135i was originally meant to be an M model.

The 1M that stands before you now has had possibly the most progressive stage from thought-production turnaround for a BMW. There had to be a lot of arm-twisting in the BMW Board because of the tight window between generation 1 and generation 2 of the Coupe. The proposal was greenlighted when BMW decided to use the Coupe model for the BMW eDrive evaluation. Therefore slightly extending it's life cycle.

When I first saw the car it was in a design studio as a full scale claymodel but since then some designers ideas have to make way for aerodynamics and engineering. The initial engine proposal was the N55 but they were having issues that cannot be solved within the time window. BMW Greenlit this car in July 09, now over a year later we see it as it intended , although testing still commences until the launch. Valvetronic was the main cause of the time delay but BMW have spent some time on this and are using the N55 as a basis for the next M3.

The best way to describe the engine of the 1M is a "Hybrid" but in the original form of Hybrid, nothing to do with "alternatives", but it is not a straightforward transplant.

There is a lot of this car that will carry over for the next generation 1M in which that car will switch to four cylinders to which the M Division engineers are already working on the basics without time constraints or restrictions. 1M (E82) is showing what is possible in a small timeframe 1M (F22) will show what is possible once you do not have restrictions.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0