View Single Post
      02-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
COEHSP85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

A Frustrating Situation...Need advice and help

Ok so sunday i discovered that my drivers side headlight started developing condensation and moisture. No big deal right...?? WRONG....well to top it off the headlight itself stopped working as well. The Halo lights work, but the HID light doesn't. So monday evening i dropped off my car to the BMW service for it to be looked at today. Well they did everything and said that the light assembly needs to be replaced, along with the bulb, and the ballast unit. Repairs are about $2270. Now i bought this car with 49000 miles on it, and right now i have about 51600. The factory warranty is over with. I did purchase an extended protection plan with the dealer where i bought the 135 and it is a platinum coverage. Now my SA at the service called them today and they clarified with him, that they do not cover headlamp assembly especially due to moisture damage. GREAT....However, their stupid brochure said it has to cover headlamp motor. Meaning that the headlamp itself has to be replaced due to a fault in the Adaptive Headlight piece itself which threw the code. So this is a frustrating matter, because i paid 3K for a extended coverage and they don't wanna help me out with my situation.
So i sat down with the BMW Finance manager and went over their own extended protective plan, and guess what, they cover a headlamp assembly as long as there is not corrosion or exterior physical damage. So now im really wanting to call my current company and cancel their BS plan and sign a new one with the BMW guys.

Well here are my few questions...

If i was to take matter into my own hands, remove the bumper cover, take the headlight off and look for a crack in the housing, would i be able to seal it up with some waterproof silicone or not? Also i found a HID Ballast unit on Ebay for $120, would i have to get i programmed for the bulb to work again or is it a simple plug and play?

Any info would be greatly appreciated and sorry for the rant, i needed to vent lol....
Appreciate 0