View Single Post
      06-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #75
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

There were a couple of questions near the end of page 3 that don't seem to be addressed. If you search my old posts I think you will find pictures of the blocks I use in the plastic lift pockets to prevent damage. They are made of 3/4 baltic birch (high grade) plywood. I have them both for lifting and for use on the jack stands. You can buy an aluminium piece that does the same (for a lot more money). When lifting at the center lift points in front or back, I just put a circular wood block on the jack. The center jack point in front is plastic and flat, at the rear it is the differential (not differential cover).

To suck out differential fluid, I used a transfer pump which was metal that I got at O'Reily's. I got some smaller diameter clear plastic tubing from a hardware store and used tape to join it to the pump. You can't get much out unless you go to a really small diameter hose. Even then you need to move it around until you pick up something. I think a wet/dry vacumn would have a lot of trouble being throttled down to 1/4 inch or so. The fluid is also thick so it doesn't move easily. Transfer pumps are pretty inexpensive and are also handy for moving the new fluid into the differential.

Jim