Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klick View Post
I am running AA headers on my car. Here is what I got going.

AA Headers --> stock piping to 2nd cats --> stock piping to stock resonator --> custom muffler delete.

I don't think it is too loud unless you got flat out up to higher RPMs. There is definitely some drone though from 2k to just below 3k, but in my opinion the noise itself is not too loud.

I have heard 135is with catless downpipes and larger piping that have extremely loud start up noise and idle noise, that is not the case with my set up. Honestly though, if you are looking for a quiet ride, you should not be looking at putting headers on your car since it, more than anything else, removes most of the restriction of exhaust gases and noise on your car.

My other suggestion is this. Go to a muffler shop and tell them to get a good resonator or muffler for you and build you a custom exhaust after the 2nd cats. It will be much cheaper than a straight up branded and perform about the same. I am suggesting this, since the stock BMW mufflers of any model car are extremely heavy and you can shed a lot of weight getting rid of it.
Thanks for your input.

Sound is obviously subjective, but I'm 99% certain your set up (headers & a muffler delete) would be too loud for me. From what I hear, my muffler (BMW PE) is only marginally quieter, and is louder than most people would consider reasonable. I love the sound of the BMW PE without headers, but as it is, it's alreaady almost borderline too loud. If I could keep the same sound after adding headers, I'd be golden, but that's obviously impossible.

So the Supersprint muffler is still a possibility, but it's looking like the custom exhaust set up might be the way to go. I could probably pick up a Borla ProXS at 1/10th the cost of the SS unit (or less!). Of course, it would require professional installation (hangers welded, tips welded) but would still be significantly cheaper.

I'm reaching out to a custom exhaust shop near me that does mandrel bending, TIG welding, etc. - they should hopefully be able to give me some better ideas as far as options.