View Single Post
      06-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #36
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

My setup = N55 mids + Akra Slip-On Line + wireless kit.

10 'features' experienced so far:
  1. exhaust tips gap: the gap/space between both tips is not identical on either side (narrower at the driver's side), but that seems to be a design issue which cannot be optimized/modified during installation. The exhaust is molded at the Akra factory like that (so the 1M Akra was "born that way"): http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27;
  2. signal interference: if the Akra operates in "Red Mode" (so-called 'Thunder Mode") it happens to sometimes flash rapidly to "White Mode" for a second or so. Perfectly normal. It's a remotely controlled device, so the signal might briefly suffer from interference/distortion by other signals/sources. This phenomenon is even indicated in the Akra manual: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=29;
  3. heat status difference: the sound seems to differ a little according to the heat status of the N55 mids and exhaust (quite logical): better sound results when all is properly warmed up;
  4. M Mode vs. non M Mode: during city driving I use the M button (M Mode) less often than before, because the typical Akra sound seems to sing more obviously in default non M Mode, during soft but steady acceleration, especially when the engine is still cold (or is it simply an ill-founded impression?). Try with a cold engine in "Red Mode": accelerate slow and smooth towards 3000rpm and then accelerate progressively between 3000rpm and 4500 rpm to trigger the hallmark Akra rasp to kick in. To me that sounds a little better with the M button de-activated. Of course, generally speaking, with a cold engine I prefer not to pass beyond the 4500rpm mark. Possible explanation: as we know, M Mode is only a remap, a more sensitive setting, so you get slightly more rapid from 3000rpm to 5000rpm, and thus offers you slightly less time to fully enjoy the sound;
  5. downhill driving: less obvious Akra sound during downhill driving. However, that's perfectly normal too, as the engine is not as much "under load" than on a flat road surface or during uphill driving; same with the stock set-up (and, generally, any other car): less 'stressed' engine (say, more 'relaxed') = less fumes pushed out = less obvious exhaust sound;
  6. rare backfire bang: backfire = when shifting up and letting off the accelerator, the engine has a moment of running rich (air/fuel ratio too rich in fuel - too much fuel is getting passed through and not all of it is igniting), causing an incomplete burn which causes the fumes to explode in the exhaust system along with an audible pop or bang sound. Well, it happened already a couple of times, though very rarely, that I experienced a little exhaust 'bang' (not just popping or gurgling, but definitely a backfire 'bang' sound). Quite peculiar to experience, though partially inducing/enticing a swift 'hooligan embarrassment' feeling. No idea why this happens or how I triggered this (rare) phenomenon (bad fuel? pushed it?) ...and wondering whether a flame was emitted during the 'bang';
  7. "Red Mode" vs. "White Mode": "Red Mode" (aka "Thunder Mode") is quite intoxicating. The fact that, under "White Mode", the outer exhaust tips do not emit fumes - which is pretty obvious to notice when the engine is not fully warmed up - might refrain from using "White Mode" during city driving, as people might think that the outer tips are fake (qualifying the driver as a phoney or wannabe). However, "White Mode" is a perfect way to discreetly leave premises and return to these (no need to disturb the neighborhood). As well as for cruise control on the highway during long(er) trips: the difference between "Red Mode" and White Mode" is audible, albeit discreet (less bass is a fringe benefit during longer highway trips). Oh, and with the N55 mids + Akra set-up, the notorious 'drone sound' of the 1M stock set-up during highway cruising is only a distant memory;
  8. gurgling: rolling downhill inside a parking lot without using the clutch = gurgling à gogo . Also regularly gurgling when slowing down without touching any pedal. Difficult to get this sound with a 1M stock set-up;
  9. occasional valve rattling: as we know, during the start-up sequence the butterfly valve automatically closes as soon as it got sufficient vacuum (few seconds) ("White Mode"): you hear the discreet metallic sound of the valve closing + the sound/noise getting muzzled. When I drive away (with open windows) uphill inside a closed parking lot in "Red Mode" (valve open), it happens that I sometimes hear some little metallic rattling of the butterfly valve (the sound is more noticeable because you're driving close to walls reflecting all sounds), which seems normal to me (yeah, I check whether everything is properly fastened). Though, never a particular vibration or rattle;
  10. remote storage: it is a quite practical fashion to permanently leave the wireless remote control inside the car, never unplug it and disregard the unpractical suggestion of Akra to plug it in the power socket between the seats. In my book, the cigarette lighter power socket is the perfect storage spot (EURO spec 1M): discreetly hidden from preying eyes, always "at arms' length" ready for mode switching, and without risk of forgetting, damaging or losing it (except if stolen - but it's a pretty useless device without the Akra and cables infrastructure) ((http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=43). Moreover, it appears that the longevity of the wireless battery is limited merely to a poor ± 3 months ([url]http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851700). And the fate of the cigarette lighter: moved to the power socket between the seats (though I'm a non smoker).
To all forum fellows with an Akra set-up: what are your personal experiences regarding these Akra 'features' ?

Some of my previous posts about the 1M Akra:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=12
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...21&postcount=4