11-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
I'm sorry, but this is silly lol. The interior is different. The look of the car is vastly different. The suspension, the LSD, the very limited production... It all combines to something you can't really emulate by putting extra bits on a 135i. And yes, it would be MUCH more than 5k. Closer to 10k is very correct, and has been proven on these very boards by two different people who are undertaking their 135 -> 1M conversions.

For me the 1M would be the epitome of a driver's car, one of the very last of its kind. So again, if I were in a position to pick between the both, I'd pick the 1M.
From a performance standpoint a 1M performance can be matched / exceeded with a properly tuned 135. All the core pieces are there or can be swapped / alternatives used.

It's really a matter of costs / values and understanding the worth to the buyer. In my mind the real desirable aspects of the 1m is the looks and prestige. So for me to achieve that in a 135 would require both performance upgrades ($10K +) plus body work (another $10K +) and I still wouldn't have the prestige (and warranty likely)

With that a 1m with low miles for mid 50K is the better option for someone like me. Otherwise I settle for the looks of a 135 with very good 1m like performance.
Appreciate 0