12-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #2001
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Hey guys. I know a few of us have discussed the potential best ways of keeping our PE's clean as can be, most notably on the inside. I'd read some articles and tips recommending using fine grade (0000) steel wool on the insides, though that scared me a bit. Got some this weekend and thought I'd try it out and see how it worked. So, I took some before and afters of cleaning up the exhaust tips and thought I'd share pics and thoughts.

Note, my tips weren't really all that dirty to begin with as I've cleaned them once every couple of months and my car only has 3300 miles on it, but they had some water spots on the inside and were looking a lil dingy to me even though my car was washed this morning.

I just used a general multipurpose cleaner (debated between that and a gentle detailer spray), let it sit for 30 seconds, then scrubbed the insides of the tips all around the insides with the steel wool. Used a microfiber towel then to dry it all out in there and finished off with some turtle wax ice spray wax on the outside and a lil on the inside. I think from certain angles, looking INSIDE the exhaust won't look all that great no matter what, but once you back up a bit and look from the side, the outside and inside look stunning at the end in the last couple of pics.

I think I'd see better results on the inside if I used a better cleaner such as something that Kouper just picked up - some p21s that I wish I tried this with. Also, I think there are some things that will just never come off inside the tips like the long lines in mine, much to my chagrin. I don't really know if the insides look any cleaner though using steel wool as opposed to a paper towel or microfiber towel, but I think if you have more buildup or baked on crud, I'd definitely go with the steel wool, but make sure to get the finest grade - 0000.
Looks great! I admit to also keeping the I.D. of the PE tips clean… but mostly so I don't get sooty residue on my cleaning media as I'm cleaning the outside of the tips. Recall that I had an issue with tar and other debris baking itself onto the O.D. of the tips… I went after it with wheel cleaner and a mesh sponge, followed by BlueMagic metal polish cream with good results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Just want to say my 135is performed beautifully this past weekend with all the snow we got. I'm running oe staggered 17 on Blizzak LM-25. I actually spent the good portion of the day outside so I dealt with anything from fresh powder, 4-6" solid snow, freezing rain and the resulting slush. Only time I had minor issue was going up a hill and that was because a car in front of me stopped midway so I lost my momentum. Reversed the car, dsc off, pointed the car straight and feathered the throttle and eventually made my way up.

Also on a side note I'm glad I put on the factory splash guards!
Glad to hear your winter setup is effective. I had similar good experiences with my 225-45/17 PA3 ZP setup, but while out during the storm I came to the realization there are simply too many hills in the area surrounding my house to have confidence that I won't get stuck by others either stopped or stuck on hills.

I am also glad I got the splash guards installed! What a difference!

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0