View Single Post
      02-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #12
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Just a helpful hint to anyone changing their plugs... Wrap some masking tape around the BMW socket and the socket extension. The BMW socket I have has a rubber seal inside that holds the spark plug pretty snug. When changing the first plug, the extension pulled out of the socket and the socket was too deep in the plug well to reach. I had to back out the plug in order to get the socket out of the well. Just a couple wraps of tape is all it takes to hold the socket and extension together.

BTW - my plugs also had what appeared to be oil on the threads, but there was zero oil in the plug wells. After a day, the residue had dried a bit and it was sticky to the touch... Not like oil. I did a bit of research and found that this can be the result of unburnt fuel creeping up the threads. My plug tips were a tad bit darker than I expected which is a sign of a rich A/F mixture or short trips where the plugs are not brought up to optimal temp for an extended period of time. This make sense to me as my daily commute is only about 5 miles each way. The fact that plug #1 was the darkest also makes sense as it probably runs cooler than the rest.
Appreciate 0