08-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
I know it's silly to ask this question because no one has a definitive answer but I'm interested in hearing as many people's opinions on the matter as I can.

I didn't hesistate to chip my Audi TT when I bought it almost 9 years ago. After 8 years of owning it chipped, I never had a single engine problem other than the ECU dying after 8 years (and that was a relatively cheap fix - $450 for a refurbished ECU).

Perhaps I was foolish and young back then, but now as I'm thinking about getting a JB3, I'm having second thoughts. Perhaps it is the pictures of the blown turbos in 335s and stories of $15,000+ repair bills. Certainly, I'm craving the extra power but maybe not at the expense of a blown engine.

Exactly what kind of risk are we taking here? I realize we can just remove the JB3 and pretend like it was never installed, but in even of a real catastrophic engine failure, I think I am the kind of person who would own up to it.

I'm willing to take a risk, but it really depends on how much of a risk it is. So what are we dealing with here?
Ever thought of looking at the SSTT Mod..?? gains aren't as great as the Dinan or JB3 but its very reliable and plug and play so warranty wouldn't be much of an issue.
Appreciate 0