View Single Post
      10-13-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
naveed135
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i AW/CORAL RED DCT

e46 m3 vs. 135i

I've had a E46 M3 and just recently (2000 miles) got my new 2011 135i. To me, there's nothing like the feeling of a brand new car. obvious reasons (warranty, smell, and knowing you've been the only person messing with it)

The 135i is a little monster-faster than the M3 and the way the turbo spools n pulls is intoxicating. I'd say go with the 135i...However, IF you don't mind the extra maintenance of the M3 and can find a good clean one with low miles and want a car that you will take to the track I'd say go with the M3. I wish I could have kept the m3 and the 135...but if I had to choose I'd go with my 135; it's just so easy to drive fast. With 300ft/lbs torque available at 1200rpm downshifting to pass cars is unnecessary in daily driving...just barely press the gas pedal and the 135 swooshes forward effortlessly. You have to work a little harder to make the m3 go fast (rev higher) which is fun...but the m3 baits you into driving fast the car wants to rev high...while the 135 can feel as smooth as a 5 series (slight exaggeration)...

In my opinion, the M3 definitely had a better connection with the road. The way the M3 felt going in and out of turns gave me more confidence and feel for the cars limits. In the 135 I don't feel the same feedback between the steering and the road. Im not talking about track performance, Im just talking about simple stuff like accelerating on a banked turn of an onramp or on some twisty stretches of road. I just feel that the M3 gives you more confidence in pushing the limits while at limits of the 135 there is less feel and connection between you and the road..Not to say that the 135 doesn't handle well or drive amazing, because it definitely does...In other words you can feel the technology controlling a bit of the 135s suspension while the m3 felt more raw..

M3 is a gas guzzler too...I only averaged around 16mpg while in the 135 Im around 23mpg.

Writing this is making me miss my M3 so maybe that says something too...135 is more practical, more powerful though...and there's barely any of them out there...I see a lot of 128 and 135 converts but hardly ever see a 135 coupe...

check out this vid I found on youtube, might help your decision..Either way you won't make a bad decision!

Last edited by naveed135; 10-13-2010 at 03:59 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 0