11-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #76
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
ill get back to you both after next Wednesday night providing I get no check engine lights at willowbank

going from the run flats to the yokohama s drives recently I do understand where your coming from in regards to traction especially with a car that has as much power as yours. I didnt actually realise that you had a roll cage or run flats. I did see a JB3 MT 135 with semi slicks run a 12.6 last time so tires must make a huge difference from 11k worth of mods.
Good to see you're going out try it for yourself, it might open your eyes!

With the rubber there's some drag racing basics to understand: A good ET is all about the launch. And a good 60' time is all about how you get out of the hole.

The best launch is from rubber that has the tallest sidewall, allowing the tyre to absorb the shock through the suspension and maintain a good contact patch with the track. That's why drag racing slicks are predominantly 15" rim .. and not 18" like circuit rubber.

Runflats are the absolute WORST rubber you can have for drag racing because the sidewalls are very stiff. That's why even a basic replacement non RF tyre will outperform the OEM RF every time.

Some people make the mistake of trying R compound circuit tyres for drag racing, thinking the stickier rubber will help. The rubber IS stickier, but again the sidewalls are very stiff for the lateral forces a circuit places on the tyre. Consequently these tyres are also shit for drag racing.

I knew as soon as I posted the actual costs of my project I'd get some negative comments back. The amounts I posted include the FULL costs of my mods. Buying the parts, shipping them to Australia, clearing them through customs and then paying someone to install them. That includes a significant cost for the rollcage which required many hours to fit into the interior (modification to the carpets, etc). All of which costs money and which I dutifully reported here.

You'll notice that very very few people actually detail what they've done and how much it really costs. There is a reason for that.

So in reply to your remark about a simple JB car running 12.6 .. good on him!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0