11-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #75
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hey Paul,

essentially the OE thermostat must be bypassed via an always open/pass through adapter plate.

Without the above you will not have full oil flow throughout the cooler until almost 115 degrees Celsius, this is why many of you guys see operating temps of around 120 degrees Celsius in stop and go traffic.

Here is a pic of the thermostat housing adapter plate that was supplied with my Stett Stage 2 kit.

Pete will fab up a similar plate, that will allow the oil to flow without restriction in and out of the OE housing and onto the replacement thermostat mounted externally.

The new thermostat will be fully open by approximately 90 degrees Celsius, which will in turn will see a noticeable drop in start-stop traffic oil operating temperatures.

More importantly when tracking the car, with the significant airflow across the oil cooler core temps will no longer continue climb quickly and go beyond 125 degrees Celsius, as is the case with OE setup.
JD

Thanks I appreciate the time to explain the setup, I was assuming the new thermostat was replacing the OEM unit, but I understand why the new adaptor plate is needed now.

Did you do the radiator AND oil cooler at the same time on your car, just wondering if you saw a difference in cooling between them? From an install timeframe do you have any idea how long this would take, just wondering if it's a day job or if its taxi time?
Appreciate 0