View Single Post
      04-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #74
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

What a heap of senseless chitchat!

Drive the darn thing! And yes, it is that fast.

If you simply use your smarts for a single second... 500Nm at overboost. So what will happen to the power at that point? No, you are not comparing 330 PS to 340.

Some interesting facts, since I did actually read the article:

The "Auto Motor und Sport" (should be Germanys #2 right after Autobild) had a 1M also. Strange things pop up:

...Autobild had "M MC 1913", Auto Motor und Sport tested "M MC 1904". The interior shots show both cars to have the same config.

The 1913 weighs in at 1536kg (Autobild), the 1904 at 1500kg (Auto Motor und Sport).

The 1913 does 0-200 in 17,8s (Autobild), the 1904 in 16,6 (Auto Motor und Sport) and is thus only 0,2s slower than the Cayman R.

The 1913 uses 35,7m from 100-0 (Autobild), the 1904 does (warm and loaded) 34,4m and outbrakes the Porsche by 0,7m even when the brakes are cold and the car is empty. (So much once again to the old urban legend of "BMW M brakes suck so bad"!)

Yes, the 1M beat the Porsche. And if you look at the data from Auto Motor und Sport, then not only in the price category. No wonder! Anybody here that wants to tell me, they can drive a mid-engine car faster, than a compareable front engine... what do you race? Most of the members here won't even be able to match the acceleration times of pro-testers because they wouldn't be able to do a standing start, but they can drive a mid-engine? Fast? Get real!

Fact is, the Cayman is castrated in order to not be too big of a threat for the 911, just as the 1M is not allowed to come too close to the M3. But honestly... if I take the price difference of the Cayman R and invest it in a 1M, I'll be driving circles around a GT3... so what type of a comparison is that in the first place? But still... the little bulldog won. Because it's good and that I am not assuming, that I know!

Last edited by EmmDrei; 04-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Typos
Appreciate 0