01-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Nice pics, thanks for posting these. It sounds good.

So is there any difference in filter size/type at all? Or is the new intake basically the same size/shape as the stock one, except made out of carbon fiber?
I have not seen myself but according to BMW there is a new filter element. I would image the filter is a different shape being that the airbox is different in shape and size also. The air passage in the carbon fiber housing is larger. There is a third air inlet under the longest front edge of the airbox (that's the large unit connected to the right of the carbon fiber housing). From reading some articles I understand that the size of the air snorkel that feeds air from the airbox into the throttle body also matters in creating an effective system. I hope and am pretty certain BMW engineers took that into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
Very nice! Does it affect the warranty?
There is no effect on warranty. Since the intake system is from BMW, it has a valid BMW OEM part number and is covered under warranty. The labor is also covered under warranty since I had it installed by a BMW service center (my dealership).