08-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
kioko12
king kong in the trunk...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasar View Post
+1 to VPElectricity's point (as usual)...

Kioko12, you mention that your next move is to add another sub enclosure. Is that really the best place to invest? Which 1-series stereo/speakers do you have - the sticky PDF calls them Stereo, HiFi, or Top HiFi?

HK Document for 1er Premium Audio

I used to have the Top HiFi in my former '09 135i vert, and the speakers in that system sucked. In a way, if you're starting with the basic Stereo system, that's great, you saved $875.

If you have the basic system, I would guess an amp & speaker upgrade might be next. If you have HiFi or Top HiFi, the amp might suffice for now, and the speakers should be the next upgrade.

BTW, I think the best thing you can do while deciding is listen to as many 1-ers stereos as possible. Go to the dealer and listen to the HiFi/Top HiFi if you don't have it. Ask Safe & Sound if they have done other customer 1-ers, and if you could demo them. And maybe find another stereo shop or two, and demo any cars that they have done. Bring your iPod with your demo songs. Hearing is believing!

(Oh, I just saw your tag line "King Kong in the trunk"... maybe you do need a few more subs... )
Hey Plasar, thanks for the comments. I've got the HiFi system that came as the base model during 2008, so it's got 10 speakers in the cabin. They're obviously no where near the quality and output of most aftermarket components, but I can live with them for now. I've heard the new "Base" 6-speaker system in a buddy's 335i and it's actually not that bad. Not sure what it sounds like in the 135, though. Either way, my system stock was much better overall.

Not sure if I articulated this point in my videos, but the sub plays really, really low bass surprisingly well. Definitely lower and louder than any 10" sub has a right to. That alone made me super happy with the sub. Keep in mind that I'm still running the 8's under the seats, so I'm sure that helps the 10w6 in the trunk.

Alas, I'm a basshead when it comes to driving, so the more bass, the better. I'm the total opposite when it comes to listening at home. For now, I think I'm going to hold off on investing any more into my car audio system. I think I've put enough money into my car as it is, and I think it's good for me to have a "cooling off" period before throwing more money at it. I tend to be pretty impulsive when it comes to these kinds of things