View Single Post
      08-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I have this exact model. If you search some, you can find it for $35. I have never had much luck mail ordering (or internet ordering) from Harbor Freight. The way they ship it can take a couple months to get stuff to you and I am not that patient. Fortunately there is a HF store about 10 miles from my house. If I can get it at the store, and they definitely have these, I buy it. If I have to order it, I find another way.

I've used this tool to cut some wood and sand wood but nothing on the car yet. It went through some base and crown moulding very nicely. Based upon that experience, I think it would work well for cutting through some thin plastic. It is easy to control and pretty quiet. It is almost surprising how well it cuts. If you use the round shaped cutter, you would need to be careful at the ends of the cut not to go too far. Otherwise this should be easy (and if you went only slightly too far it looks like the lip would cover it).

You could use other tools to make the opening but you risk damaging wiring. I think the main advantage of this is much less risk of cutting through wires.

Jim