02-04-2014, 01:37 AM   #19
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53
froop--I just read an article in Car and Driver magazine about the horrible policing of speed limits in Australia. Here in the US, you are usually pretty safe as long as you are under +10 over the limit. The article mentions tickets being handed out for anything over the limit. Is it true?
I guess it really depends on where you are, what state you're in, what time it is and whether you're up against a camera or an actual cop.

Generally I would say you are pretty safe as long as you are under 10kph over the posted sign limits if caught by LIDAR. A patient of mine who's husband was a police officer told me that they have general guidelines regarding giving speed tickets and that usually includes people going above 10kph. She did state that on double demerit weekends this was reduced to 7kph.

But again, this is only a guideline. Come up against a cop with a grudge and he can ticket you for anything.

Against fixed speed cameras it's a bit more unknown. Generally I'd say you're probably safe if you're just a few kph over but no one really knows. I am pretty sure I have seen penalty notices from fixed speed camera for speeds under 10kph over the speed limit but if would have been on the higher sides, ~6-9kph over

One thing is certain however. In school zones during the school zone periods there are no such leeways. I have heard a story from a friend who was fined for doing 41kph in the 40kph zone. Be careful out there.

Odd question for a tyre discussion btw.